Monday, March 24, 2008

Another River Quilt

I think this one is finished. It gave me a rough go around, in the square-this-quilt competition, but in the end, I think I won.

Rather than my usual, square, bind, block progression, this time I blocked first, then squared and bound it. This is what I ended up with.

To say that I was not happy is an understatement. Every edge woobled, particularly the left. I believe I may have had a bit of a hissy when I saw it hanging. A large groan immediately escaped my lips. I took the picture so I would have a before/after comparison, because there was no question about it, I was going to have to block the thing again.

"Sierra Snow Melt"
29" x 29"
Suzanne Kistler 2008

There! It's not perfect, but it is much, much better! I can live with this. Now all I have to do is label it and see if I can get it submitted before I miss the deadline.

Here is a close-up, if you'd like to see my water quilting. The trees are a print, I did not piece that forest, as one friend thought. Really, would ANYONE piece this, when there's a perfectly lovely fabric available? I think not.

I have to share with you my favorite comment about this quilt. I actually asked the woman to repeat herself, because I could not believe my ears. She said something like, "You've taken art quilting to a whole new level!" hahahahaha!!!! I never, ever, consider myself an "art quilter." But apparently she's tagged me as such, and I find that to be delightful. Will wonders never cease?!!!

P.S. And if Cynthia Corbin sees this post, she'll probably be thrilled. I got it, I finally got it!! THIS should have been my final project in her class, not the one I am STILL working on. It took 2 full years for her teaching to sink in, but there you go. Good things come to those who persevere!!

No comments: