Saturday, March 1, 2008

Gardens, real and imagined

The week of rain and subsequent sunshine have done what they are designed to do. The garden is awakening, and these irises are determined to show their stuff first. Aren't they lovely? Look at all of that purple and green. Don't you just want to capture it in fabric?

I found this as I was cleaning out the closet the other day. A purple and green Grandmother's Flower Garden that I started back in the late 80's. It doesn't grow much, unlike the real garden outside. Then again, there aren't any weeds to contend with either.

I don't know what to do with this piece. There are possibilities, but the longer it stays dormant in its storage container, the more certain I am that it will never reach bed-sized proportions. That was my original goal.

I have several additional flowers sewn together and prepared for incorporation into the quilt, but the desire to make it grow is not there. Surely I can think of something to do with this, that doesn't involve a zillion more hours of hand-pieced hexagons?

In the meantime, it will be on the wall until I take it down and replace it with something else...

No comments: