Tuesday, March 11, 2008

A Matter of Perspective

A couple of weeks ago, I posted this exercise that I'd just finished quilting. It was based on a photo of a tree, that I pieced in a class taught by Cynthia Corbin.

I thought it was finished, until I saw the quilt next to the photo. The emptiness at the top of the quilt made it feel as though something were missing. But the quilt is so small, adding anything would make it crowded. I put it aside, to deal with it later.

Last night, I was at a meeting of Art Quilters. I passed it around the group. I noticed one woman holding it sideways. I think she was trying to make heads or tails of it. Since I was talking about something else, I didn't tell her which way it went.

This morning, I held it up from her perspective.


Hmmm. That actually does look pretty good.

In fact, it looks finished. I think I'm ready to put the label on it, and indicate that it hangs horizontally.

And hey, this is now ART, because it is nothing like the tree that I started with. It is its own image.

Sometimes all it takes to see things at their best is a matter of perspective. Looking at this one from a different angle was all that it took to "fix" it.

No comments: