Today has been a very good day in my quilting life. yay!
For months I have been stressing about a wallhanging that I've been ready to quilt. I'd finished it, or so I thought, but too many people had difficulty reading the script. I decided to "fix" the background fabric with paint, to make the words more legible, but instead, I ruined it. You read my lament back when? Maybe in January?
Since then, I have been trying to come up with alternative solutions. Most of these involved purchasing different border fabric, which I actually did FOUR times. But none of the replacements were as pleasing to my eye as the original fabric choice. And I still have a hard time believing that I used 3 yards of fabric to make 4 - 5" x 45" borders! But I did. I mis-cut more than once, and did not have enough left over to cut them yet again.
But last night, an amazing thing happened.
I picked up a basket, and underneath, I found an already stenciled border. I measured it. It was the right size. I removed the one I'd painted, and replaced it. Isn't this much better?!!!
You may not see much of a difference, but to me, it's HUGE. Now all I needed was a single piece, large enough for one border. I pulled out my scraps once again. I was amazed. There was a single strip that was 5.5" x 45" long...and the blotches were at the edge, not in the middle. I don't remember this piece, but wow. perfect. I sewed a tiny triangle to the corner to make it large enough. I stenciled it, and just now finished replacing it. Take a look. What do you think? Better?
I say it's better. I say it's GREAT. I say it's a go. I'm going to re-baste it and begin quilting. yay!!!
And then, to make a great day even better, I was flipping through a binder and found all of the verse notes that I'd made for another quilt I've been dreaming of for 6 years. It was right there all the time. (My friends know that I have been turning my sewing room upside down for the past week, trying to find these notes.) :)
See, here they are. They are real! They weren't imaginary!! :)
And finally, I thought I'd give you a peek of the new, improved Malcolm. Silly kitty.
He now feels so good that he's into EVERYTHING. The other morning I was typing, and I heard a noise. I looked up, and he'd poked his nose over the monitor. He saw me and ducked. The next thing I knew, he was peeking out from UNDER the monitor. What a goof! I ran for the camera, he watched over the top of the monitor. But when it was time for the picture, he decided he preferred to come around front. I got this shot just before he planted himself between the keyboard and the monitor.
We had a bit of a disagreement as to who's the master, but in the end, I won. He got huffy and took a nap.
Yes, this has been a VERY good day. :)
2017 Pacific International Quilt show
2 days ago