Tuesday, July 1, 2008

There and Back Again

Ahh, home sweet home.

It is SO nice to be back! I missed my house, I missed my kitties, I missed my boys, I missed my sewing room...I missed all of it, but not necessarily in that order.

We arrived in San Francisco after 10pm Wednesday evening. Pete had meetings from 8-5 on Thursday, and again from 9-11:30 on Friday morning. This is the view from our room in the SF Hilton.


Ick. Buildings and more buildings, as far as the eye can see.


If you squint hard, you can just make out the Golden Gate Bridge, off in the distance. I'm not sure if this was taken the day it was smoky or the day it was foggy - either way, there was a pall over the area, which felt oppressive.

And talk about being oppressed. Look at these poor trees, trapped in the middle of the city. I felt sorry for them, surrounded as they were on all sides. I couldn't even see that there was a way to get in to touch/see them. To the north there seems to be an alleyway leading to a parking lot, but other than that? You could walk right by and never know there were trees there. I, on the other hand, am on the 37th floor, so I could see their plight...

Friday, June 27, was our 27th anniversary. We left San Francisco and headed to Monterey. Wow. This is more like it!! This was the view from our Monterey hotel room, right there, on Cannery Row.


I thought I'd gotten a picture of the balconies across the way, with all the bougainvillea and geraniums and other flowering vines and potted plants, but I didn't. Add to the color the sounds and scents from the ocean, and you've got a recipe for relaxation.

This is the view from the other side of the hotel. We ate a couple of meals out on the Terrace, overlooking Monterey Bay. Otters were playing in the kelp beds, and we saw dolphins (a mom and her calf) frolicking as well.

On Saturday, we rented kayaks, and investigated the Bay up close and personal. The photos are in my husband's camera, and I think his camera is in his truck. I'll post them when I have access to them, he got some great pictures.

Pete had meetings again on Saturday morning, so while he met, I quilted on the balcony.

Yes, folks, that's my Hoffman Challenge, and I have to say that I've made a lot of progress. I'm not quite halfway through with it, but every stitch is one stitch closer to completion. Goals are good, and I might just meet mine. I'm further ahead this year than I was last year at this time. Last year I was just beginning the quilting on July 1, this year I'm cooking right along. Then again, this year's entry is much bigger than last year's. Goals are good, goals are good.

And on that, I'd better get to work. There's lots to do around the house, as well as multiple duties to be executed in the sewing room. Time to have at it, it's good to be back!

No comments: