Friday, October 17, 2008

Pacific International Quilt Festival 2008

tired. Today was an up-and-back trip to Santa Clara to see the 2008 edition of PIQF. wow. What a show! It's been a few years since I've been to see it, and wow. The level of competition has skyrocketed - not that it wasn't high before, but this year? It was out of this world. I can't even tell you how many big names who have won BIG prizes had quilts hanging naked. We're talking quilts that won big at Houston hanging unadorned in Santa Clara. I'm sure more than one quilt-maker was stunned. Especially so if they didn't have the opportunity to see the show. It was STELLAR.

It was exciting to see quilts by a number of local friends, as well as quilts by bloggers whose blogs I lurk at. I thought it might be fun to show you a few.

This was one of the first quilts I saw - hey! I know the maker!!

"Milkweed in Autumn"
Kristin Eilers
Lemoore, CA

"Bourbon Street"
Kristin Eilers
Lemoore, CA

The quilt actually hung better than this. I couldn't back up far enough to get the proper angle. I struck up a conversation with a man examining both of Kristin's quilts closely. "I know her!" "Lemoore is far away." "Not that far." "It's southwest of Fresno isn't it?" "yes." "Well that's far!" "It's only about 4 hours..."

"Don't they have an Airforce base there?" "Yes, well, actually it's Navy." "Navy? In the desert?" "They do fighter pilot training there." "For aircraft carriers?" "Well, they do that part in Coronado..." He looked pretty skeptical. Navy? In the middle of a state? What is this woman thinking? I moved along...

This beauty was hanging on the opposite side of the hall. Quite a hike, but I found it! (Then I had to wait for the women examining it to move along. They were entranced.) :)

"Breit Beauty"
Debbie Van Fossen
Visalia, CA

And check out this next quilt. I heard a voice, turned around, and it was Lynn Drennen. She'd just arrived and was looking for her quilt. I told her I knew exactly where to find it. She was with Marilyn J. Smith, one of her co-quilters, the other quilter, Gina Perkes, couldn't make it. (Rumor has it she has to go to Houston in a week or so, and couldn't swing 2 weekends away...)

"Grape Harvest"
Gina Perkes, Lynn Drennen & Marilyn J. Smith
(internet friends)

Speaking of internet "friends," here are a couple of quilts made by quilters who have blogs that I have stumbled upon...
"Stay the Course"
Debra Spincic, Rian Ammerman & Deborah Geyer

"Nourish the Body, Nourish the Soul"
Sarah Ann Smith
Camden, Maine

Finally, had I remembered to vote for Viewer's Choice - the ballot is still in my back pocket - this is the quilt I would have chosen. I LOVE this quilt!!! (For some reason the color is exceptionally poor.)

"Road to Po'ipu Point Kauai"
Susanne Rasmussen

And in keeping with the "small world" theme of this post, the above artist is going to be the guest speaker at the local guild next month. I guess I'll be going to see her lecture, especially if she's going to be bringing along more quilts like this!!

But the best part of the day was my lunch break.

The show was held 3 miles from where our oldest son works. When he found out I was going to be in town, he perked up. "Mom, let's do lunch!" You betcha I'll do lunch! And we did, his treat! wow. He was even willing to let me take our picture, twice!!





I tell you it was good to see that boy!!! It's been too long, and I've been having withdrawals.

All in all, it was a good day, and hurrah for CalTrans for FINALLY finishing that overpass on Hwy 152. It makes all the difference in the world!!!!

No comments: