Thursday, November 27, 2008

SAQA Auction

For the past few weeks I've been monitoring a couple of on-line auctions, biding my time and bidding conservatively, hoping to call myself a winner at the end of the week. Actually, the biggest winners are the two groups who have held/are holding the auctions. The Alliance for American Quilts auctions ended on eBay, with the six quilts I bid on (over the course of 3 weeks) each selling to someone else, most for close to or in excess of $300.

Yesterday, the SAQA auction reduced their 12" squares to $75. You'll have to go there to see what is left. I'd had my eye on a few, and yesterday, I successfully became the owner of two. Apparently, I also now have a collection. ;) At least that's what the site says. "Suzanne Kistler Collection." Imagine that. But when I think about it, I DO have a number of small quilts made by quiltmakers other than myself...perhaps it does qualify as a "collection."

The first 12" square that I purchased was this one:

"Joy Cometh in the Morning"
Margaret Blank

Now I don't know anything about Margaret Blank, but I am familiar with Psalm 30.

"Sing praise to the Lord, you His godly ones,
And give thanks to His holy name.
For His anger is but for a moment,
His favor is for a lifetime;
Weeping may last for the night,
But a shout of joy comes in the morning.
Psalm 30:4,5

I've known the weeping that lasts for the night, and I've also know the joy that comes in the morning. I look forward to receiving the piece, and examining its every detail.

The other 12" square that I purchased is this:

"Save Some Space"
Phyllis Cullen

I don't know what it is about this piece, but it caught my eye again and again. Maybe it was the pumpkins, they are so dramatic against the black. Or maybe it was the city in the background. Each time I look at it, I immediately think of Cinderella, her pumpkin, and the Ball. That may have nothing to do with the artist's thoughts, but I also live in an agricultural community. It's our job to feed the world. Without our abundance, those in the city would be very, very hungry...

Anyway, I'm excited to know that these two little art quilts are headed my way. Just wanted to share the news...and for those of you interested, the last lot of quilts will be posted on the SAQA website on Friday, beginning at 2pm Eastern and $750...

1 comment:

Margaret said...

Suzanne,

I tell you, it was a real thrill to know that something I'd made actually sold! I am a relatively new SAQA member, and this was my first auction, and first donation of my work, anywhere. I have enjoyed looking around your blog, and hope the piece brings you many blessings. If you have any questions about it once you receive it, don't hesitate to contact me.

Happy Thanksgiving!