Thursday, December 4, 2008

A Different List

I've been putting a lot of effort into cataloging my current UFOs. Believe it or not, this is something that I've done every year for the past 5 or so years. I make a list of all/most projects in progress, and then rank them in order of importance. For example, in 2008, I began with #1 2007 Asilomar project - Ruth McDowell, and ended with #33 Purple/green Grandmother's Flower Garden. (Neither one got crossed off the list.)

Then, as I finish a project, I proudly draw a line through the entry, along with the date. Next to the number, I make a note of where this quilt ranks in order with the quilts I've actually completed during the year. (In pencil, in the margin, I make notes about the other quilts that have been finished, that were NOT on the list.)

I'm not sure if that makes sense to you, but it makes a lot of sense to me. When I look at my 2008 UFO list, I see that I've only crossed off two items, #2 - the River Project from Asilomar 2006, and #7, my 2008 Hoffman Challenge. They were finished projects, numbers 5 and 8, and both are show-quality quilts.

During 2008, I also quilted 20 quilts for hire. (This last one will be #21.)

I made 37 little quilted cards and 5 "art" quilts that were given as gifts.

I finished the following quilts:

1) "Psalm 46:10 Be Still"
2) small Corbin class tree
3) "It Is Well"
4) "Sierra Snow Melt"
5) a baby quilt for Mike & Lissa
6) "Pray For Our Troops"
7) a baby quilt for the Kings
8) a baby quilt for Asa
9) the duck baby quilt
10) the leftover 4 patch baby quilt
11) the penguin baby quilt.

hmmm.

In retrospect, it's been a pretty productive year, despite the deceptively few items crossed off of my UFO list. I finished 6 baby quilts (must have been a slow year for babies) and 4 show-quality quilts. It looks like a lot of my quilt time has been spent making little quilted cards and "art quilt" gifts for people. I've found that when I'm making something for someone in particular, it's much easier to get the task finished. I'll have to remember that in 2009. Rather than just finishing something to get it finished, finish it with a purpose in mind.

Goals are good.

That's my motto, and I'm sticking to it!!

I wonder if I'll get anything done today... ;) The deadline for Paducah is right around the first of the year, and my quilt is only about 20% quilted. (by hand). I've got miles to quilt before I sleep. or not. But as I said, goals are good, and every year Paducah has been a MARVELOUS goal to shoot for.

And now I'm off and running...I'll try to have more pictures tomorrow...

No comments: