Wednesday, April 29, 2009

So Glad to be Sewing!

Yesterday, (or was it Monday?), I went back to work on this quilt-for-hire. It is the last of the bunch. I accepted it in February, saying, "I hope you're not in a hurry." She said she wasn't, she didn't need it until May. uh oh. May is on Friday.

I've been talking about how much I love this quilt. I think it's the simple geometry and the play of the lights and darks that have me so captivated. All I have left to quilt are the ecru background and the outer border. I'll be done this afternoon, if all goes as planned.

I've also been working on my April Step, although I'm not moving as quickly as I might have hoped. I thought you might like to see my boy's hair. It is done with 2 strands of embroidery floss, mixed and matched with 5 colors of floss.

Yesterday I added a few sheep. They're in progress. The original photograph had 6 or 8, but there's no way I'm adding that many sheep. They're kind of corny, but it's not like this is a super-serious piece. It's just a very good memory, and cute but corny sheep will do just fine, thankyouverymuch.

Here's a close-up of how I'm making the sheep. I've appliqued some novelty-print sheep onto the background, then I've embroidered their legs and faces with black. After that, an hour of French knots was enough to cover the little body. Like I said, not perfect, but it will suffice.

Finally, I thought you might get a kick out of this little guy. I bought him last week, when I went shoe-shopping. No, I didn't find him at the shoe store, but I had to bring him home. Flamingos are so corny - there's that word again! - that they make me laugh. They can crack me up any day, especially when presented as Art. But a blue flamingo? That seems like an oxymoron. Obviously I couldn't leave him on the shelf. He came home with me and has a place of honor among my knick-knacks...right next to the Lalique and the little marble box from the Taj Mahal.

You think I'm joking, don't you? heh heh heh I'm not!

Now I'm going back to finish that quilt-for-hire. If only I knew what I was going to quilt in the border!

No comments: