Monday, July 13, 2009

Hoffman Update

I am closing in on the last two corners of my Hoffman Challenge. If I put my mind to it (and work my fingers to the bone), I might be able to finish the cross-hatch this evening. I've been working on it for the past 3 hours, and the fingers are aching. I have a volleyball game in an hour - pray that I don't break or sprain any fingers. I had a sudden panic surge as the possibility crossed my mind in the middle of a daydream.

Here is one corner that needs finishing:

Here is the second:

And here is how much quilting thread I have left. I've actually quilted a few inches with two other colored threads, but if I put more than 2 or 3 inches in one area, it looks distinctly different. If I limit the amount of contrasting thread in one area, it looks like shadowing. Tricky, tricky. Will there be enough thread to finish the task? I have no idea. It is going to be EXTREMELY close.


Here is the overall view of the quilting. Both right-side corners need to be finished. I'm trusting that the quilting will suck up the distortion that is currently in place.

Once the cross-hatch is complete, I will finish detailing the lion's head. This will be done in green, and I have no lack of green thread. I should have quilted the entire project in green! :)

And there you go. Barring some sort of horrendous hand/wrist/finger accident in the next few days, I should finish the quilting this week. Goals are good, and I'm determined to meet this June/July goal. It's been MUCH too long since I've finished a competition quilt, and I crave the satisfaction of accomplishing a goal.

In other news, there is no other news. The carpenter continues to leave me hanging. I wonder if he believed me when I told him I'm off to Alaska on Wednesday? Won't he be surprised if he actually gets my storage finished later this week?! I won't be here for him to deliver it. If he doesn't show up tomorrow, he'll be stuck on the other side of the waiting game. What's good for the goose should be good for the gander...

No comments: