Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Patience is a Virtue

The call came yesterday, that my storage/new cabinets were on their way. woohoo! yippee!! Do a happy dance!!!

I'm not sure what the hold up was, but "late morning" meant 4pm. The carpenter stayed until 6:45pm, and will possibly come back today. This is what we have so far.

These units will have shelves and wood doors on the front. The plan is to use them to store equipment like rulers, cutters, etc., and probably business paperwork and patterns that I design for future projects. But I'm not sure. I just know that whatever goes behind those doors won't have to be seen on a 24/7 basis.

This is the sewing table. It will have doors on the cabinet behind my knee area (great for batting!) and the two thread drawers are immensely bigger than those in my previous sewing table. The major drawback is the lack of a table top. "It's on order." That's all I know.

Back to back with the sewing table is my bank of stash storage. I might be able to get half of my stash in here!! yeah, I'd better get sewing! ;)

Eventually each opening will be fronted by sliding glass doors. I need to be able to see my stash at a glance, and I LOVE the dust protection it offers. I keep the blinds closed when I'm not in the room, and so far exposure to light has not been an issue. I've used glass-front stash storage for YEARS. (I bought my first gun cabinet at a yard sale in 1987 and immediately converted it for stash storage. I still use it. Best $10 I ever spent!)

So that's where we stand. The room is coming together, in a manner of speaking. He's hoping to be back this morning and says, "It won't take long, only 2-2.5 hours" to put the doors on, put the drawer sliders on and install the shelving. hmm. He seems to operate on Pete time (i.e. with little awareness of the actual movement of the hands on a clock), so I have to admit I'm a bit skeptical.

This afternoon I fly out to Alaska for 4 days. If he doesn't show this morning, the room will have to wait.

And then there's the matter of the missing table top...

I almost get wistful for what I had before:


Almost, but not quite.

On another note, I finished the background quilting on my Hoffman. I did not have enough thread to finish, I was short about 24". I substituted beige for tan - do you think anyone will notice? ;)

No comments: