Thursday, February 11, 2010

Flowers and Farm Show

Where have I been?!!! I can't believe it's been so long since I've posted. Sorry about that. I have no explanation, other than "I've been busy." Does that suffice?

On Tuesday, I was off to the World Ag Expo, in Tulare, CA. Locally it's referred to as "the Farm Show," which is what it was when we first moved to town in 1985. Since then it has grown exponentially, so that it is now one of the largest (if not THE largest) farm equipment shows in the world.

It is something that "we" are proud of, and anyone who lives here should go at least once. If you're a quilter, and not a farmer, Tuesday is probably your best bet. On that day, there is usually a 30 minute presentation by a local quilt artist. This year was no exception, and Priscilla Girard, from Springville, was our hostess.

Priscilla creates fantastic wearable art (which she wears), and it's always a feast for the eyes to see what she's been up to. Here she is, as she narrates her fashion show. Unfortunately, we were in a tent, and it was raining outside, so it was a bit dark for picture-taking.

Priscilla Girard

At the show's conclusion, when I panned back, it's a bit easier to make out the details.

Here are the models. If you click on the picture, it will enlarge and perhaps you can see more detail?

When I left the tent, I headed to the Heritage Complex, where our guild was at work on our opportunity quilt. (Anyone want to buy some tickets?) I had to stop and take a picture of this gorgeous pair. I believe the driver called them Joe and George when he told them to "geeyup!"

In the Heritage Complex it was nice and dry. (Did I mention the rain? It's a farm show tradition.) I snapped this picture before I took my seat around the quilt. I'm supposed to report in a couple of hours for another session. Do you think there will be any quilting left to do? They're almost knocking knees already...

At home the constant rain is paying off. My garden - which is soon to be uprooted and completely revamped - is blooming like there is no tomorrow. (Do you suppose the plants know that for them, that is true? ;)

There are purple violets,

And white violets,


And primroses

I spy cyclamen, beginning to push its way up through the dirt. (I thought they'd died!)

And on the porch, I've got this orchid, a gift from my friend Pat. It pushed out the bloom stalk WEEKS ago, the blooms are just now beginning to open.

Peekaboo, I see you!

And that's all I've got for you today.

HOWEVER, I have been working on a beaded valentine for my husband. I expect to finish it today, so perhaps I'll get it posted tomorrow. Goals are good!!!

2 comments:

Rose said...

Nice blog. Like the pictures of flowers on your blog. Flowers bring so much joy to those who have the time enjoy them.

pb said...

I told you to be patient.