Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Yard Update

Yesterday was a busy day, filled with planting. First up was the east side of the driveway. For the most part, the plantings were plants that I already had. Behind the right sequoia we have two transplanted gardenias. Around the sequoia, we have some fortnight lilies and daffodils. I have my doubts about the bulbs surviving, but I won't know if I don't try, right?

Out in front are transplanted geraniums (they're looking pretty leggy) and irises. When my husband came home, all he saw were the irises. "I didn't know we were going to have so many. I thought we were going to have bushes." Sorry, Honey.

The "island" is finished, except for the bark and the new drip line. If you click on it, you can see an enlargement. I really like what we did with the rocks around the gingko. I was excited because I knew my husband would love them. All he noticed was the pooling water around yet more irises. The drip line was dripping, and I was waiting for the foreman to come back and shut it off. It's a valve problem, that needs to be fixed today.

Next is the "secret garden," by the front door. We've talked of a waterfall or fountain or something in the area with the paver triangle. For now we'll fill the area with calla lilies, azaleas, day lilies and coral bells (a spiky geranium). I've arranged the plants where I want them, today they will plant them. There will be bark.

While it's possible to get excited about the progress we're making, we still have far to go.

The gingkos are in, the rocks are placed. But we've got SO much mud. It's supposed to rain today and/or tomorrow, which means grading the lawn area won't happen anytime soon. But I can't worry about that right now. The crew will be arriving in about 1.5 hours, and I need to place the remainder of the plants for planting. Can you see that huge collection of pots to the left? Most of them are uprooted irises, but there are also other things in there as well. If I want to have a say in what goes where, I have to have them in place before the crew gets here.

Let's hope I'm thinking clearly this morning. I've got work to do!!!

P.S. I did get some quilting done last night, between 7-8pm. I finished a for-hire quilt. wow. I've never taken so long for a customer. The most embarrassing thing about that is that I'm too busy to be embarrassed. Never tell me, "I'm not in a hurry," if you want me to do something. I WILL believe you. :(

1 comment:

Lady Beekeeper said...

Oh, I can see spring is closing in. What a treat to see growing things! I am very excited for you about the garden. Keep the pictures coming - a lot of us are counting on you - :)