Thursday, April 15, 2010

A Little Quilt With a Story

Every year the Valley Oak Quilt Guild buys a vendor space at Best of the Valley. There, they sell quilts that have been donated by their members. They also sell the chances on "baskets," and the pansy pot that I won and showed you in an earlier post.

One of our members has been a long-time collector of miniature quilts. She has gradually been thinning her collection, and every year she donates a portion of it. I've made a couple of miniature quilts for her, and try to keep a look out for them.

The day before the show opened, I spotted this quilt:

I know that quilt!! It's "Hearts and Chains for Mary!" It was on the counter and I snatched it up. "This is for sale?!! It's mine! I'm buying it!" No, I was not. Someone else already bought it. Can you believe it? A vintage Suzanne Kistler quilt for $15?!! It was made in 1989, measures 10.25" x 12.25" and is one of only two miniature quilts that I have ever made.

There is a long story behind the quilt. The woman who was lucky enough to spot it before I did was forced to listen to it. Every quilt tells a story. It's true. Even if the maker doesn't tell you about it, every quilt DOES have a story to tell.

But, as I think about this quilt's story, it's not one I want to post online. If you ask me, I will tell you, but I don't want it broadcast to the world.

Finally, if you thought you were done with Best of the Valley, you're not. I've posted more pictures here, and there's a fantastic article here.

Enjoy!!!

3 comments:

Deborah said...

Well, I would love to hear it.

Anonymous said...

OK, so I would like to hear the story of it too.

Brenda

Quiltedtime said...

Thanks for the link to the news article. They wrote about my Yogini!
Woo-hoo!