Friday, December 31, 2010

Bloom Where You Are Planted...

I hear that phrase repeated a lot, and nothing brought it home like my yard this morning.

It's been Jack Frost nippin' at your nose the past couple of days, and the lawn was white.

Apparently the frost came from the south - the house faces north - because you can see where the frost line abruptly ends. Live on the wrong side of the frost line, and good luck making it.

Live against the wall of the house, and even the calla lilies are surviving? I was certain they would be in a frost-burned crumpled heap.

And if you have the good fortune to be planted in the backyard, why, you might just think about blooming in December. Is this Bird of Paradise a loony bird or what?!!

And now, after that brief garden interlude, I can think of no other reason to postpone my "let's clean up the house for New Year's" assignment. Not my favorite, but it's gotta be done.

Happy New Year!!!

No comments: