Saturday, June 25, 2011

Surprise Project

This year I again bought the Hoffman Challenge fabric. Once again, I didn't like it. bleah. Sort of my colors, but not really. I'd hoped the fabric would inspire me, it did not.

I even took it with me to Asilomar, on the off-chance that I might be able to incorporate it into one of my projects and have an entry to submit.

That proved futile, as my teacher smiled and threatened to confiscate the fabric. "You need to be doing something different."

In theory, I agreed. In my mind, I agreed. But last Saturday? When I had a day to myself? I started looking at the remnants of my Asilomar class. One thing led to another, and before you could say "Presto Chang-o," I'd transformed the hideous Hoffman to something of my liking.

In fact, I like it a lot.

I like it much more than I possibly could have predicted.

I liked it so much, that I took the time to quilt around all those crazy little petals with metallic thread.

And then I pulled out the beads. I bought these for "something special." Or maybe I bought them because I could. Doesn't everyone need 24K beads? :)

I found more beads in my stash, which coordinate with the Hoffman.

Apparently they were not enough, as I was motivated to drive to Fresno (combined with a trip to see the Madera Heart of the Valley Quilt Show) and drop some $$ at Bead Artistry.

Wow. At least when I walk out of Costco, it requires a shopping cart! ;)

Stay tuned! I've got about a week or so to get the quilt finished and on its way to CO. Wish me luck!!!

3 comments:

Kay said...

Well, good for you! I'm not entering this year. I hated that fabric; that doesn't really matter, but what did matter was that I found it so boring! It's as though the Hoffman people are in a rut with colors and type of design both. Blah! (It may be me that's blah, but that's another story.)

Anyway--I'm glad you had a breakthrough with it, and I'll be looking forward to seeing your work.

Quiltedtime said...

Hmmmmm............I remember buying beads with you, too, Suzanne.

Kay

pb said...

I am going to the bead store before leaving for Ohio. The quilt is beautiful in it's simplicity. I am glad you are going with the challenge.