Sunday, August 26, 2012

whew!

It took this much tape, plus a yard, to tape the hall. I KNEW there were a lot of doors.  See?  They're in the ceiling, as well as the walls.  (That's the whole house fan at the top of the frame.)

By 4pm, I'd finished the prep work, and started in on the fun part.  I took this at 8pm last night.
Look at the difference between the old (flat beige) vs. the new (bright white semi-gloss).  Cave, be gone!!

Look at the details one notices while getting up close and personal with the building.  I don't know that I've ever noticed this cutout before.  I know.  We've been here 15 years.  I have never painted the hall.
I painted until 10 pm, and thought I was finished.  I cleaned up my tools, and went to bed.

Then I remembered that I hadn't closed the paint can.  When I went into the hall, I saw a big patch that I'd missed.  The paint had soaked in like it was water.  It took 2-3 coats to cover/make the walls white.  I'm wondering if these walls were ever primed.  In looking back, I've thought the same thing as I've painted my way through the bedrooms.  grr.

This morning, when I got up, the morning light revealed a huge section that needed yet another coat.  By 10am, I'd finished the gallon of paint.

This afternoon, I bought another quart, to do the last 1/6 of the hall ceiling.  In the meager 1pm light, you can see that the white didn't cover completely.  *sigh*  Tomorrow I will again be painting in the hall.

Next on the list:  master potty closet & pool bathroom.  Goals are good!

Hey Mr. Carpetman?  Where's my carpet?!

4 comments:

Quilt Crazy said...

Painting and prepping for painting is hard work! But it is so nice to have it finished. Everything is so clean. For another 15 years? :)

sewmuchfun said...

I have painted many a wall! My house and my parents :) Keep up the good work!

Barbara Sindlinger said...

I was going to say the prep takes the most time, but it sounds like painting is taking as long for you since the walls weren't primed before. Looks pretty though!

Quiltedtime said...

My hat is off to you. I painted my bathroom this summer, and I can still see places where the paint is not as even as I would like it to be. Frustrating, since it was exactly the same paint and color as it was before.