Sunday, October 27, 2013

On The Second Day

Retreat lasts roughly four days.  The first and last include travel to and from the destination.  Days two and three are hard core quilt 'til you wilt days.  I didn't wilt.  I meandered through the days, working at my leisure...or leisurely working.  If you quilt, you know what I mean.

On the second day, I got up and finished the baby quilt top.

During the course of the day, a couple of "30 minute" challenges were issued.  They took a bit longer than 30 minutes, but they were a lot of fun.  The first was to piece (and embellish) a crazy block, using the supplied foundation.  We were to use decorative machine stitches, but I brought my workhorse, not my fancy machine.  So I...embellished by hand. 

The challenge was issued around 10am, all blocks were turned in before lunch.  One name was drawn to win all the blocks.  This is what Cheryl won:
 My block was in the upper right corner.
The afternoon challenge was to make a postcard.  Several of my quiltie friends already make postcards, but many of the local quilters do not.  Here was a chance to expose each and every one of them to this 4" x 6" addiction.  I showed them my collection of Postmark'd Art, Wendy handed out "blanks," we gave instructions, then all who wanted to went to town.  This "challenge" was given a full 24 hours to complete.  As the cards started going up on the wall, more and more quilters decided to make one.  If you made one, you got to trade one.  Everyone who made a card came home with someone else's.

I neglected to get a photo of all the completed cards (I believe there were about 20), but here's what I did get.  This was a first time effort for most of the participants.
 This one was mine.  (You could see Venus in the evening, over the hilltops.)
Since I'd completed so many "veggie" projects, it was time to move on to dessert.  I'd brought along Jeremy's design board, and it was time to start making my my top.  Here's a hint of what I began:
The paper is the pattern I drew.  This image was captured after the top was complete, but it wasn't finished by the end of Day Two.  And so, I will leave you hanging, and save some for my next post.  Enjoy!!

No comments: