Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Cleaning Up

This must be the week to get big things done.  wow.  Last week it was the trees at our home.  Yesterday, we had a tree at the walnuts trimmed.  It was hanging low, and hitting every west-bound semi.  I was afraid to drive under it, afraid that one day it would break, and squish me like a bug.
 I knew it was a big tree, but it wasn't until all of the trucks and the crew were parked under it that I realized how truly enormous it is.  They said it had never been trimmed - when I saw the estimate, I knew why - but they also said that this is a year that they expect to get a record number of calls for downed oaks.  If all goes according to plan, we will not be one of them.  I don't think I'll be afraid to drive by now.  (The 'road' in the front left is the driveway to the walnut house.)
That was yesterday.  Today, I decided once and for all that I will park in the garage.  I will park in the garage.  I will park in the garage.  Taking down last week's redwood was what pushed me to do it.  My car gets too hot, when it sits in the driveway with the sun beating down on it.
 Look at that!  There's enough space for a car!!  (My husband has always been able to get his truck into the garage.)  See those boxes on the left?  Those contain bits and pieces of the Best of the Valley Quilt Show.  Which reminds me...the website has been updated, with pictures of the winners, etc.  You can check out the new pages here.  And now, look at this!!  It fits!!
 I also took advantage of the space and the lighting to finally get a decent - not great, but decent - photo of my quilt.  This one has been accepted into Sacred Threads 2015.  There will be a book, so they asked for high quality images.
Here's a low resolution copy, that is similar to the high res one that I submitted:
"Joshua's Ocean"
Suzanne Kistler, 1990

huh.  Ocean-themed Ocean Waves quilt.  Made in 1990.  I guess my "thing" about the ocean and quilts that depict it are nothing new.  This particular quilt is one of my favorites, and probably always will be.  Can't wait for the show, though I won't be attending.  I am so glad to have pulled this one out of storage.  Like I said, it's a favorite.

And now, on to the next thing.  I wonder what it will be?  Something big, no doubt!

2 comments:

Barbara Sindlinger said...

Good for you finishing big things. I love your ocean waves quilt. One of those has been on my quilts I want to make one day--but all those HST makes me keep putting it off.

sewmuchfun said...

I love being able to park in the garage. This California heat can be brutal in a car!