Wednesday, November 18, 2015

Simple Stitching

I can't tell you how good it is to just sit down, grab fabric, and sew.  Grab, sew, press.  Grab, sew, press.  The only thinking going on was to determine if the fabric was light or dark, and to make sure it was long enough to cover the foundation.  Grab, sew, press.

I showed you the beginnings in my last post.  I finished both tops yesterday.  Each measures 40".  One was made with 10" blocks, the other with 8" blocks plus 4" borders.  These are my favorite types of "I Spy" quilts, though don't ask me why.  I just think they are a lot of fun.
The first quilt has more "formal" fabrics, the second has a lot of juvenile prints in it.  Sometimes I just can't help myself and have to add parameters.
 Another thing that I've done recently is to hang the new 12" quilts that I purchased from the SAQA online auction this year.  They are above the door.

My first purchase was "Cloudbreak," by Gwen Goepel.  I think you probably know why the ocean view called my name, right?




When the first week closed, and the remaining quilts ended up in the SAQA store, I was stunned to find Aileyn Renli Ecob's "Philodendron Phantasy" listed.  Oh my!  I quickly hit the "buy" button, and it was mine.  I met Aileyn at Asilomar years ago, and have been a huge fan of her work.  It's usually all hand-done, but her machine work is also exquisite.  

The following week, I watched the quilts sell, first this one, then that one.  I pick my favorites each day, then whittle the list as they sell one by one.  I hadn't intended to buy any other quilts, but somehow I did.  This one is "Trail Ride," by Jennifer Landau.  I should have taken a picture of it before I put it on the wall.  It's full of texture and detail, that make the viewer want to touch it.  Good thing it's hung at the 7' level!  :)
There is also a fourth and final 12" SAQA quilt, but I've somehow lost it in the mess that is my sewing table.  It called out to me in Houston, and I just couldn't go home without it.  I don't have favorites, but if I did, this would be it.  Perhaps I will have located it and hung it by the time I get together my next post?  Goals are good!!

And with that, I think I should see what I can accomplish today.  Surely it will be something sew-y!

No comments: