Last week, I told you that I finished a longtime UFO. I started it in, when? 1999? I think that's when we had that Valley Oak Quilt Guild challenge, involving several fabrics. I believe we were to use 3 and could add three. I believe I added the muslin in the blocks, then set them aside. I missed the finish deadline by a mile. I don't think I have any pictures of the blocks before they were set into the top.
Fast forward to 2004, when I finished my sister's "30th Birthday Quilt." (I promised each sibling a quilt when they either got married or turned 30. All of the quilts were late, which probably goes without saying.) Anyway, this was the quilt I made for sister #2. She's a knitter and had a cat, which is why they are included.
Here was the quilt, back in 2009.
The last thing to do to finish this beauty was to wash it and see if I could get the ripples to reduce or disappear completely. What I wasn't expecting was for the red to run. groan.
Vicki Welsh has a tutorial on her website for anyone with this problem. You can find it here. I wrote to her asking if it would help with dye migration as well as an all-out bleed. She thought it would. hmmm. I had the Kirkland's Free & Clear, which I used, but it didn't take out all the pink. I went to the store and bought Dawn, not realizing that I needed Dawn Pure. They didn't have that at Savemart. *sigh*
After 48 hours of soaking, with two different detergents, this is what the blocks look like.
Caught up for a week...
26 minutes ago