Sunday, September 11, 2016

Lesson #5

I seem to have fallen into a pattern with my Katie Pasquini Masopust class, and it's not necessarily a good one.  I develop an idea, I work feverishly on the idea, start chopping fabric and sewing...and then abandon the idea for a new one, with only a smattering of days left to complete it.  Lesson #5 is due tomorrow.

When last I left you, I was trying to make an iris in black and white.  This is what I had going:
 I came to the conclusion that I would never be happy trying to recreate nature in black and white.  It just wasn't working for me.  I went back to my photo folders, and found this pic, taken in Laguna Beach either last year or the year before.
 I cropped it, and made a new pattern.  This time, despite the time crunch, I am using only hand applique, not trying to piece it on the machine.  It's easier that way.
 This is what I had on Friday.  This morning, I'm down to cutting out two large pots, and sewing three together.  Oh, and the little table under the black pot in the center, that needs to be cut and sewn as well.  And I need to pick a background to set it on.
Working with black and white has proven to be a LOT more difficult than I expected.  I didn't think I'd like it, but I also did not think it would be such a challenge, especially using black and white prints.  I have a much greater appreciation for those who intentionally work in black and white, and do it successfully.  It's hard work!

And with that, I'd better get back to it.  Next time I check in, I expect the top to be finished.  Goals are good!  :)

1 comment:

Barbara Sindlinger said...

I'm sorry your first idea didn't work. I look forward to your second attempt with the pots. You are a very nature inspired woman so I would guess that nature in black and white would be hard.