So I've got yet another baby waiting for his quilt. He was born at least 6 weeks ago and, though I cut the strips in advance of his arrival, I had yet to put the top together.
Yesterday I set to work. I sewed strips together, I made 4-patch pieces, I combined them into Double 4-patch blocks. I've made this quilt so many times, I thought I could do it in my sleep. But, apparently not.
Today I laid out the top, since I had a slight variation in some of the fabrics. I wanted to be certain that they lined up properly. I could not figure out how I came up five blocks short. That never happens. What usually happens is that I have two blocks too many.
I fussed, I fiddled, I looked for lost blocks. I actually did find one that was half-pieced, but I was still four short. I finally made some substitutions, laid them out so they worked, then stacked the blocks to begin the finally piecing.
I sewed together two rows of six, then realized, uh oh. I still had four rows left. Oh, good gravy! The blocks are supposed to line up 5 x 6...and I'd laid them out 6x6. That explains the lack of blocks. unbelievable!
I ended up leaving the odd-ball blocks in place, since I'd already pieced one in the body of the quilt. I put the extra sixth row into my orphan block box, snapped on the lid, and finished piecing the top.
Tomorrow, when I'm a bit calmer, I will quilt it. Goals are good.
In the meantime, I will leave you with this picture of my latest successful creations.
I think I need a piece.
Caught up for a week...
31 minutes ago