Wednesday, May 16, 2018

Busy With Babies

 This is why I have not been sewing.  Little Miss Granddaughter comes to visit several times a week, and we play until we are exhausted.  When she leaves (and while she's here) I've still got Pidge and Pudge, playing (often underfoot), until they are exhausted.
In my last post, I showed you the fabric I purchased at the quilt show.  What was I thinking?  I would have held back, if I'd considered the soaking and prewashing.  I've been soaking/prewashing and pressing for the past week, and I doubt I'm even halfway through the pile.  I need to get a better system, or add a few more buckets to soak in!

Block of the Month has been going well.  I thought I'd posted pictures, but apparently I've been remiss.  My apologies!  Here are the last few months' worth:
 The Pixie Sticks blocks above were turned in for April.  They weren't as popular as some of the previous blocks.  Sometimes new techniques/ideas can be scary.
 I decided to follow the modern block with something very old and traditional.  What could be more traditional than a string quilt?  I asked everyone to make two blocks, one with the blueberry center and one with the raspberry center.  I was quite surprised when we ended up with a blue quilt and a pink quilt, but apparently I was vague about the freedom to use any scraps one had on hand.
 For the June block, whose pattern I just passed out, I wanted something cute, simple, and beachy/summery, so I drafted a "Summer Houses" block.
 Once the roof is made, the building is a piece of cake.  SO simple!  I hope that it is enjoyable to all.
The green house above is the "Mud Hut."  The values are too close, and the door/window/wall all mush together like mud.  I've been trying to guide the participants to separating lights and darks, but it's always a challenge.  One or two mud huts in the group are fine, but if there are too many?  The pattern just disappears into the swamp.

I'm soon headed to retreat, so I am hopeful that I will have quilting photos for you in the not-too-distant future.  Until then?  The baby and puppies are keeping me busy!

1 comment:

sewmuchfun said...

Its a wonder you can get any quilting done with all of these cute distractions! Love the babies :)