Friday, February 15, 2019

A Finish, and then some...

 For the past month or longer, I have been quilt, quilt, quilting on my entry for Best of the Valley Quilt Show.  Sure, I had a few other quilts waiting in the wings, but I wanted to be able to enter a true Show Quilt this year.  It's been three years or longer since I've finished what I consider a Show Quilt.  Boy, does it feel good!!

This is "Sunset Stroll," a quilt that I began in my first Katie Pasquini Masopust online class.  This was actually my second project.  The lesson was on "composition."  After doing all of the applique by hand, I really wanted to continue what I'd begun, so I quilted it by hand as well.
 It involved a LOT of quilting!!  I squeaked in under the deadline, finishing the entry form at 10pm.  The deadline was last night, at midnight.  whew!!

I was also trying to transform our Sew Eclectic "Broken Shell Beach" into a single quilt for entry.    The twelve individual quilts are all attached to an "authentic" used fishing net.  I put a slat through the sleeve, and had my husband hold it to be sure it hangs straight.  If you don't think that was tricky, well, think again!!  Thank you to Linda M., for suggesting the fishing net for mounting.
 Drought-stricken California has been getting some wet and woolly weather this month.  This picture was taken in my backyard yesterday.  I ran outside to close the umbrellas, as the wind picked up and whipped my trees as though they were cooked spaghetti.  I was certain one of the Sequoias would snap.  Thank goodness I was mistaken!!  The rain has been coming down, and no one is complaining.  We might actually hit our average rainfall of 8" this year.  Season to date is 4.96".  Normal to date is 6.39".  To date last season?  1.53".  So yes.  The rain falls, and the people rejoice...even when it has the potential to cost a tree or two.
Next on my quilting agenda?  Let's see if I can get my Valley Agriculture Challenge Quilt together before that deadline of March 1.  Goals?  Oh, goals are good!!

1 comment:

Barbara Sindlinger said...

I love the shell quilt. I've always wanted to do something like that. I can't wait to see it in real life.

(Loving the rain too!)