Monday, November 3, 2008

What a Weekend!

Ahhh, what a beautiful weekend! What could be better than to be in the mountains when it rains? That would be spending that rainy weekend in the mountains quilting. Lovely.

This photo didn't come out as nicely as it looked in the camera. This branch was covered with raindrops and literally glistened as though covered with jewels. (Actually, it reminded me a bit of "Cascading Crystal Kaweah.")

This photo was taken on Sunday morning, once the rain had stopped. Yes, the colors are true, the sky WAS that blue. I don't know what this tree is, I just call it "the big leaf tree."

This is one of the leaves it dropped. The only leaves I've seen this big are from sycamore trees. Yeah, I know, I don't get around much. Remember, I live in CA, the land of fruits and nuts and palm trees... ;)


On Saturday evening, I was invited to give a trunk show. I'll let you in on a little secret: it's one of my favorite things to do. It's not often that my quilts get out of the corner of my sewing room and I have a chance to look at them. I asked a friend to take some pictures. Apparently I don't hold still much while speaking. Pay no attention to the twitchy woman in the photographs...it's all about the quilts. ;)


This Monkey Wrench is the first pieced quilt I made. I finished it in 1985. It was for my daughter's "big girl bed."


This is my first Lone Star quilt, made in 1985. At that time I swore never to cut another diamond. Never say never.


I can't even concentrate on the quilt in this picture - am I taking off? What is going on here? What could I possibly be saying that required this much arm motion?


The trunk show went well, and I made contacts for two possible future presentations. If they actually happen, I'll be sure to let you know.

By the time I left, I was quite satisfied (I'll show you my projects at another time). I was switching gears on the drive home, knowing that I had two hours to prepare for the arrival of the College/Career Fellowship at our home at 5:30pm. (I always cook dinner for the group on Sunday evenings, before our Bible study.)

Anyway, this is what I was greeted by...more city trucks. Remember last week's garbage truck breakdown in front of our driveway? This time the water main broke, right where the garbage truck had been parked...

This is the view from our driveway. I'm standing where my car should be parked. God is good. They finished the repair and were on their way by 5:15pm, just as our first college student arrived...

And finally, this morning, this was the view from the driveway. We had rain over the weekend, and it looks like it's going to be a foggy year. This is just a mild hint of the days ahead - the more rain, the more fog we will have. We are so desperate for rain, it's almost a prayer request to have Tule Fog from now until March or April...(we only get the fog after a soaking rain...)


And now I'm off to do some quilting for hire. I'll post more retreat pictures in the morning...

No comments: