Friday, March 27, 2009

Something's Happening!

I hate days like this, when I expose myself to the world. But without seeing what I'm working with, how can you understand the enormity of this undertaking? You can't. And so, I must take pictures. Brutally honest pictures. You'll still love me, right? Even though my mess is out of control and I can't seem to help myself?

Earlier this week I mentioned my brainstorm. I'd been toying with the idea of getting the new Bernina 820, but would have absolutely no place to put it. Pete had laughingly said I could take over another room, but I've already taken over another room, for the quilt show!

I want to learn to live within my given (appropriated) space, without continuing to ooze into the rest of the house. Other people are organized. Other people have "studios." I don't. I've told you, I have a "dump." Because I dump and run and dump and run, I can't even get down to work without spending an hour or more uncovering a sewing surface. It is unacceptable. I like order, I don't enjoy chaos.

And so, dear friends, I met with a carpenter yesterday. He thinks he can help me, the brave soul. What I didn't tell him was that I spent about 2 hours cleaning the mess before he arrived, so that he could actually get into the room. He still had trouble reaching the walls, when it came time to measure.

So. Here's the plan.

This piece of furniture currently houses about one third to one half of my stash. It is poorly built, but it performs the exact function I need. It keeps my stash clean and organized and right in front of me. I can see it, it inspires me, and it stays relatively dust free, as long as I remember to slide the doors closed!

Mr. Carpenter is going to build two of these units for me, with the sliding glass doors. They will be free-standing (not permanent), because if we ever move, I'm planning to take them with me! They stand about 6' tall, and have plenty of room on top for me to display baskets and to stash works in progress. I might even be able to get the remainder of my stash out of my bedroom! Wouldn't that be something?!! (I'm currently trying to sew my way out of the things in my bedroom. It's been taking a while!)

On the opposite wall, I've got the window and my sewing table. You don't even want to know what's crammed to the right of the table. There's a chest and an old Singer and a Stickley table, and stacks of quilts, and my old photographs, and my embroidery machine, and...you get the general idea.

It's all piled so high I can't get to any of it, other than the few things on top of the little table. Imagine, if you will, all of these things GONE. The plan is for a cupboard, with doors, to fill the space between the window and the wall, coming out almost to the edge of my design wall.

I want the same thing to the left of the table. Here I've got a changing table with a director's chair in front of it. Yeah, I know. You're saying table? chair? You've got to be kidding me. All I see is a pile of piles! I know. I'm pathetic. That's why these cupboards will have doors on them. I DON'T want to be able to see my collection of tools. I want them to be hidden away but easily accessed.

Finally, he's going to build me a custom sewing table. The table that I currently have has been uncomfortable since the day I brought it home. For one, it's too low. I've got it on bed lifts so that my back doesn't ache after sitting at it. One of the legs is in the way of my leg, so I always have to sit to the side. It's bad for me, but good for my chiropractor. I visit him monthly. The back half of the space under the table is inaccessible. Mr. Carpenter says that he can build in drawers that actually extend, along with pull-out shelving. oooh! I LOVE pull-out shelving! It makes me sing!

The only thing that I'm not thrilled about is that we're going to top it with Formica. But I don't know what else to do about that. I need a slick surface to eliminate drag when I'm machine quilting. He mentioned Corian, but that stuff weighs a ton. I think Formica will be just fine.

And there you go, my dream plans. They're all about storage. :)

It's going to be a while before we get started. He's busy and I'm busy. I told him that I can focus on it or think about it after April 20. That works in with his schedule and it makes me smile. I truly hope that I'll be able to get organized. I've dreamed of this for YEARS, and it might actually become reality. You got it. I'll keep you posted!!!

2 comments:

Quiltedtime said...

Hey Suzanne,

I still think my sewing room is messier than yours. I loved hearing you say the same thing I often think...that it's going to take 30 minutes of clearing a table top just so you can begin to work. At least your table is too low...mine is too high and with carved wooden feet. I thought about taking a hacksaw to them, but well, maybe not.

I know this is cluing in on the smallest thing, but I also noticed that you have lots of lint rollers. I really thought I had more of those than anyone else, too.

Have a good weekend. I am going to a great melodrama here in Bakersfield called "My Big Fat Oildale Wedding". Obviously, it was adapted from "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" to reflect the mores of Oildale, a hundred-year old community north of Bakersfield. Should be good and very funny. Tickets are selling very fast.

Brenda said...

I'm glad to hear your excitement over the upcoming new cabinets. Isn't that every quilters dream?
My quilting room takes constant organization (and constant mess) just like everyone else's. My husband has gently (and wisely) insisted that it all be contained in 1 room and 1 closet. So far, so good.