Friday, February 26, 2010

Making Progress in the Yard

Yesterday was a big day for the makeover. I am SO glad that it rained on Wednesday, when I wasn't here. I needed to be here when all of the work was done. I may not be actually doing it, but when decisions are made, I'm the director.

The first thing I directed was a re-direct of the curve to the driveway. We shifted it about 4' closer to the house. This reduces the planting area to the south (left side), but the lines are better.

When you look out the front door, this is the new view. The foreman straightened the path through the walls, then curved it around as it approaches the door. I like this a lot. I particularly like the new area to put pots. The drip line will be invisible, as it comes up from the planting area.

Just as they poured the fresh concrete, the rock man arrived. I told him I didn't want rocks yet, "Next week, please!" but he insisted. He needed to get my rocks off the truck, so he could load someone else's rocks for today. I told him to make a pile in the street. I guess that's not a viable option. Instead, he piled them in the corner. He'll be back on Monday for permanent placement.

Here is the new path to the front door. What do you think? Is it an improvement? Or is the mossy wall all that your eye sees? I think this weekend's goal will be to see if we can scrub off the green.

We also replaced some of the concrete to the side of the house. If you ever have concrete poured around your water main, THIS is the way it's supposed to be done. The original contractor simply poured the concrete right up to the house. Had this portion of the water main broken, it would have been a nightmare. Now that it's done right, I'm guessing we won't have any problems.

Finally, what better cat attractant is there than wet cement? Look at all of those kitty prints, back and forth, back and forth. Surprisingly enough, there are only 4 or 5 pawprints, scratch marks that penetrated the surface. The concrete guys called them "designer marks," and reminded us that some people pay extra for them.

Today there will be some fence building and dirt shifting and lighting placement and a revamp of the sprinkler system. I doubt it will look much different at the end of the day, but it will definitely BE different.

1 comment:

Deborah said...

What a fantastic project.! This is going to look great!