Thursday, August 26, 2010

Seeing Sights

I'm not much of a photographer, but I love to take pictures. I could claim that it is "in my blood," as both grandfathers were passionate photographers, entering their work in salons, much the way I enter quilt shows. I've entered some work in the county fair - I've won two ribbons for photographs from the dozens that I've entered. Second place and Honorable Mention. woohoo!! I felt like I'd gone to the moon!! :)

Anyway, here are some of the pictures I took while we were traveling.

Do you see it? This tree is a reindeer - I have trouble seeing the tree. We were at the bus stop in Albuquerque. Pete did not see the reindeer until he saw the photo on the computer and I pointed it out to him.

I took "the world's longest tram ride" to the top of Sandia peak, the last in the chain of the Rocky Mountains. I walked around a bit, and asked a fellow-walker if she would snap my picture. Thank you!! I couldn't have framed it more perfectly!!

I was told that Sandia is a geologist's dream. All that remains is the magma portion of the volcano. When I saw the mountain top, I believed them! What is hard to believe, is that anything can grow here!

We left New Mexico for Colorado, and spent a day driving through the Rocky Mountain National Park out of Estes Park.

I was reminded of Alaska and Denali, although I think Alaska is more spectacular. My camera hold pictures of tundra and a few meadows, we must have missed the wildflower season. We did see some bighorn sheep...

We also saw this little guy, watching us carefully. I don't know what he is. He didn't have a squirrel tail, I don't think he's a chipmunk. I initially thought he was a prairie dog, but we weren't on the prairie, we were in the mountains. According to the sign, I thought he might be a pika, but when we saw a stuffed pika on the summit, he certainly wasn't a pika...

Whatever he was, he was watching me very carefully.

We made it to the Visitor's Center at the Alpine Summit, which was just below 12,000 feet. I love the blue sky.

On the way down, we stopped at this rock-face. Guess who wanted his picture taken?

And that about wraps up the photos from our trip. I do have more, but it remains to be seen whether or not I decide they are worth posting. Hope you enjoyed the show!

No comments: