Saturday, January 15, 2011

Cross Off #4

I am so excited! Seriously, I am THRILLED.

I finished my piece for the SAQA traveling exhibit, and I've written my statement. The next hurdle will be to get it shipped so that it arrives at its destination on or before Friday. I might just be able to do that. yay!!

This is my piece:

"This is a Quilt"
"Ice"
9.25" x 9.25"
Suzanne Kistler 2011

I don't know if you can tell, but there are plenty of beads and ribbons and prairie points and couching. If it looks familiar, it is because it is made from leftovers from the icicle finished back in November 2010.

I'm hoping to visit that icicle on Friday. I promise. I will take pictures. :)

There has been much comment regarding the color choices of these pieces. I must admit that they are not something I came up with on my own. I am smitten with the work of Deborah, and last year she posted a piece that had me marveling at the interest that can be created with minimal value change. When there is so little value, texture becomes critical. Therefore this piece is much more about the texture, than it is about the quilting or the piecework. The quilt itself has become a backdrop or a canvas for the embellishments. Thank you, Deborah! :)

hmm. That sounded kind of artsy there - I'd better watch out.

And that's it for now. I'm going to leave the computer and set my mind to accomplishing task #2 on my goals list. So far in 2011, Goals are Great! :)

4 comments:

Kay said...

I love this! Little color change and lots of texture is a look I like a lot. Very nice piece.

Quilt Crazy said...

Beautiful! It makes me shiver....Burrr.....

Deborah said...

Exquisite! Thanks for your kind comments. I think when we start getting snow here, I get inspired to work with whites and neutrals.

Vivian Helena said...

You are further along on your goals then I am. Congrats on getting a piece done for SAQA.. still on my to do list..Beautifully done!