Friday, March 11, 2011

Feeling Flowery...

Almost two years ago, I was talking of my Mother's love of orchids and my inability to keep them alive. My friend Pat insisted I leave with one of her orchid plants, with the instruction to "put it outside, on a drip system, and leave it." I did. I accidentally killed a portion of it, but 6 months later it bloomed.

This past December, it sent out not one but TWO stalks, even though at this point I've killed off half the plant! What doesn't kill you makes you stronger? Or twice as beautiful? I'm not sure about that, but it seems to be the message of this particular orchid.

On Wednesday these arrived at my front door. I may have mentioned my feeling of loss regarding my spring bulb collection one too many times...or just enough. Thank you, Pat!!


The flowers were accompanied by this verse. "And not only this, but we also exult in our tribulations, knowing that tribulation brings about perseverance; and perseverance, proven character; and proven character, hope; and hope does not disappoint, because the love of God has been poured out within our hearts through the Holy Spirit who was given to us. For while we were still helpless, at the right time Christ died for the ungodly." Romans 5:3-6

I can't help but hope that the people of Japan have something to cling to today, as the ground beneath them shakes and quakes and all that seemed sturdy suddenly is not. Our God is a big God, and the hope that He offers does not disappoint...

No comments: