Friday, November 30, 2012

I Promised Pictures

The new carpet has been in place for almost 3 months, and I'm STILL trying to "unpack" and find a place for everything...and put everything in its place.  The best thing I've done since getting the carpet, is to hire a maid service.  Two women come every other week for three hours, and it's the best decision I've made besides getting new carpet.  Just when I am falling behind, they come and clean up the messes.  They are FANTASTIC.  I hired Dustbusters, a local business in Visalia.  If you're looking for a cleaning service, I have been extremely impressed with both the quality of the work and the competitive pricing.

So.  Pictures.  I have pictures.  Shall I do before/during/after?  To give you the full effect?  I think I might just do that.

The living room:
(Christmas last year)
 during recarpetation
This afternoon.  
I still need to think about the walls (I want to paint).  The rags on the table legs are to prevent Pixel from gnawing any more gouges into them.
 Apparently I did not take "before" pictures of all the rooms, before I took the furniture out.  *sigh*  So I'll just give you the "after."
The quilt is called "The Hills Are Alive," and was made in 2003.  My daughter inked her face and hand, I pieced her body, a la Ruth McDowell's techniques.  
The buffet belonged to my Grandfather, the avocado wood quail was my mother's.
 The carpet in this room has now been uncovered, sort of.  I shoved most of the boxes into the closet.  The remaining things are Best of the Valley treasures, waiting to be sorted through and filed away.  I need to make a decision regarding the shelving unit on the right.  It's actually a TV stand, but I bought it for plants.
 Raggedy Ann has come out of storage for Penny.  I don't know if Penny will like her.  Penny HATES realistic baby dolls.  Raggedy Ann is more raggedy than realistic.
 Husband's gym bag, waiting to be used.  It waits a LONG time between gym visits, unfortunately.
 Back bedroom.  Yes, I see the bins under the bed and on the dresser.  There are also bins on the window seat and under the stack of quilts on the left.  Bag lady?  No, I'm a bin lady!
 And last, but not least, my Studio.  Everything that had been on the floor is now on the sewing table.  Bummer.  The sewing table had been empty enough to sew on until 10am this morning!
 So that's where it stands with the Great Carpet Replacement Project.  I LOVE the new carpet, and I'm actually liking the house.  When the maids left an hour ago, I loved them too!!  They've been oiling the woodwork, and the house is looking NICE.  We've been here almost 20 years, and I finally can say, "It's looking nice," AND, "I like it."  There is still a long way to go, but wow.  Sometimes you need to just sit back, take a look around, and enjoy what you've got.

And that's it for today's show and tell.

No comments: