Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Welcome Home!

It's like I never left.  But I did.  And I'll leave again, soon.  :)

But for now, chores await.  Number one priority has been to "Pixel-proof" the front yard at the walnuts.  How to do it has been the question.  How, indeed.

My sister is a Master Dog Whisperer, and cares for them deeply.  Her house is dog-centric.  When I visited back in May, I saw what she had done, to keep a 4 lb Yorkie enclosed.  She welded expanded metal to her wrought iron gate, then painted it to match.

Hers:
 Ours:
 You probably have to click on the photo, to see the expanded metal addition.  We have 10 panels to go, we still need to weld the bar across the top, and we still need to paint.  But by the end of the week, the front yard might just be Pixel-proof.

Another thing happening out at the walnuts is the latest pair of strays.  They showed up last week, looking quite ragged.  Their tails wag constantly, they are thrilled to see us, but they are skittish.  I've dubbed them "Hansel and Gretel."



They absolutely would not hold still for a picture.  Their tails wagged constantly, and they were jumping all over each other.  My guess is that they are litter mates, and they were dumped.

I was able to catch Gretel - the one with the rasta hair - and take her to the vet yesterday, hoping that she had a chip.  She does not.  He said she is a young dog, definitely under a year.  She's covered in ticks and has tapeworms, but we vaccinated her and dosed her for the ticks/fleas/worms, etc., with Trifexis and Droncit.  Same with her brother.  (He's intact, she does not appear to be pregnant.  yet.)

The plan is to take her to the groomer next week, once the ticks are dead, and shave her down.  Hopefully Hansel will be tame enough by then for the same treatment, or at least a good bath.  Then we'll take their pictures and post them with the Clinic. Perhaps there is someone out there looking for a pair of dogs.  She is 15 lbs, he's a bit smaller, maybe 12?

We're keeping them outside the fence, but giving them water and some food.  They're loving little dogs.  Want them?  They'd love a happy home.  Pixel is quite jealous of the attention they are receiving.

Back at the house house, I've basted two quilts, trimmed 4 of the 12 strips that I pieced last week, and finished the hand applique on my Thimble Towne Challenge.  I have two more quilts to baste and 8 strips to trim...and two quilts that really need to be quilted NOW.  It's hard to do only one thing at a time, and keep the momentum going.  But the fence has been waiting for months upon months, so this is the week we are focusing on getting it up.

I got home around 3pm.  When I dragged the garbage can to the back of the house, I discovered that one of my Naked Ladies is blooming!
Elaine B gave them to me at least 3 years ago.  This is the first time any of them have bloomed.  woohoo!  I can't wait to see what she looks like!  ;)

 I also found this gorgeous box waiting on my doorstep:
Elaine S., you are an angel!  Thank you!!!

It's good to be back.  :)

3 comments:

Quiltedtime said...

Oh my, the things we do for our beloved pets. Hope your two pups find excellent homes.

Barbara Sindlinger said...

I hope you find a home for those two little dogs. I'd take them but I have 3 already and our mantra at home is 3 is enough.

sewmuchfun said...

I was excited to find the same flowers blooming in our new back yard. I did not know what they were. Ours are a really pretty light pink color!