Monday, October 28, 2013

On the Third Day...

I had a "big" project to accomplish. 

In reality, it wasn't all that big, it was just ambitious to think that I could do it in a 24 hour period.  I started it the evening of the second night, and finished it at midnight on the third, just minutes after Fresno State pulled the win from SanDiego State.  I wasn't really watching the game, but it was on, so I was listening with half an ear. 
But I digress.

On the Third day, we also accepted another "30 minute challenge."  Again, it was longer than 30 minutes.  We decided the 30 minutes referred to the time allotted to begin and offer assistance to any of those needing direction.  This challenge was a round robin exchange, which began with a 3" fussy cut square of our choosing.

We had 5 people in our exchange, so we assigned four steps.  The first was to put the square on point.  The second was to square it up again.  The third was to add a pieced border, the last was "embellish."  I really enjoyed the exchange.  Keeping in mind the "30 minute" guideline, I went with simple, making the fabric do most of the work. 

This was mine, when it returned to me.  My part in it was to supply the 3" cat fabric.  Don't you just love the ball of yarn and the mouse?  (bottom left corner)
 The first 3" square I received was Wendy's carrots.  I set them on point, using a mottled green.
 For the next round, I put Karen's sewing machine back to square, using two fabrics that caught the colors.
 For the third round, Beth's little bird sang to me.  I was supposed to make a pieced border, but I couldn't think of any piecework that would make him as happy as surrounding him by some delicious tropical fabrics.
For the fourth and final round, I embellished Charlotte's little lizard.  I'm not sure you can see it, but I used a silk/wool blend for lazy daisy stitch on the dark green leaves next to the lizard, and silk ribbon on the top two triangle borders.  I used a brown perle cotton with a sort of stem stitch on the branches, then I topped it off with a purchased leafy trim.  LOTS of fun!  :)
 There were no size limitations, we just had to keep in mind we were working with a 3" medallion.  I may have added a bit much to Beth's, but I didn't want to trim the hibiscus or the palm trees.  :)
That took a chunk of the afternoon.  After that, it was back to my ambitious project.  I've debated whether or not to show it, but what the hay.  I'll give you a preview.  It's probably not going to change much with the quilting.  It's all about the piecing, doncha know?
I really enjoyed making this particular piece.  It's about 24 x 30 or so.  I LOVE mosaic work, and I LOVE stained glass.  I've dabbled in neither, I just buy both.  sort of.  But now, I think I will be making another quilt in this style.  It's going to be a while, a long while, as I have quite a list of things that need attention, but this one?  It was a lot of fun.  :)

Next post:  WonderValley wrap-up.

2 comments:

Barbara Sindlinger said...

I love the idea of the 30 minute challenge - but sometimes at retreat I always have so much of my own stuff to do. I love your stained glass piece - was that what you made with Jeremy's design board as inspiration?

Quiltedtime said...

The stained glass composition IS lovely. I really like the energy of movement in this piece.