Friday, September 13, 2013

Nuts to You!

It's that time again, time to start shaking the walnuts.  Our first shake took place yesterday.  I haven't heard the numbers yet, but it looks like there were more than a few nuts hiding in the tree tops.

Once the trees have been shaken, the rows look like this:
And the cars look like this:
I missed most of the action yesterday, as I was at guild.  Once the trees are shaken, the sweeper moves down one side of the row (see him in the distance? - you can click on the photos to make them bigger)
and up the other, leaving a nice tidy pile in the middle of the lane.
These are then picked up and taken to the dehydrator, where they are dried to - if my memory serves - around 8% moisture content.  For a detailed behind-the-scenes look at the dehydration process, check my 2011 harvest post here.

Once dehydrated, they travel to the buyer.  There, the nuts are graded (grade affects the price - the more beautiful the nut, the better the price), processed, and shipped.  Ours are usually shipped overseas, still in the shell.  For a behind-the-scenes look at the Poindexter Nut Company, check my 2011 post here

And there you go - this week we've been a bit nutty, all the way around.  And tonight, I get to start irrigating again.  Happy, happy, joy, joy.  :)

1 comment:

Quiltedtime said...

I might need that sweeper for the inside of my house...