Saturday, May 9, 2020

Simple Sewing

A couple of days ago, we decided to take our chances and invite the kids to breakfast on Sunday.  We left it up to them, as to whether or not they feel safe in our presence.  All of them accepted, so it was time to put two more leaves in the table, as well as dig up a few more chairs.  Once that was done, I went on a hunt for a tablecloth.  Interesting.  The only tablecloths I have of this size are Christmas.  That just won't do.

I then went on a hunt for YARDAGE in my stash.  Turns out I needed 6 yards, and then some.  After digging into the back of beyond, I tracked down a suitable candidate.
 I cut it into two 120" pieces, then cut two 12" strips from one of them.  Here is a closer view of the fabric.  I picked it up from Joann's, when they moved locations.  I think I paid about $2/yard.
 I stitched them together with French seams, then topstitched them to keep them flat/in place.  I then hemmed it, and put it on the table.  Just two seams, but, wow.  It took 3 hours, from beginning to end.
 I also made 4 more masks.  These are reversible, with batik on both sides, instead of flannel.  I hope that it will not tickle my nose the way the flannel does.  I also hope they will be cooler.
We've finished the update of the bathroom lighting.  I wanted a shelf on top, to display some of my shell collection.  I am quite pleased with the results.
Other than that?  I am continuing to hand quilt 3 hours/day.  IQA has extended the entry deadline for Houston until June 4.  I doubt I will have finished my quilt by then, but who knows?  I have plenty of time to try!

Stay safe, and Happy Quilting!

No comments: