Thursday, January 15, 2009

Full of Inspiration

In my last post, I mentioned that I was headed out of town. What I don't think I mentioned was where I was going. I was off to Ontario, CA, for a behind-the-scenes look at what goes on at Road to CA. I was blessed to be a fly on the wall - actually I was working as a scribe! - in the judging arena.

Oh, I am so thankful that I am NOT a quilt judge! The work was spectacular, and choosing between one quilt and another has to be one of the most challenging tasks in the quilt world. They were ALL wonderful!

It's been a few years since I've worked in a show venue, so it was good to get a taste of what we'll be experiencing in a few short months. If you're wondering what I'm referring to, it's our own regional show, The Best of the Valley. It's coming up more quickly than you could say, "Jack Robinson!" and I'm doing my best to be prepared. Good thing I was a girl scout, eh? :)

So Monday I was driving, Tuesday I was working at Road, and Wednesday was set aside for playing. And we quilters do know how to play, don't we? big smile.

We went in search of quilt shops in the Ontario area. We had a list of four, but apparently two have gone out of business. We had to settle for two, but I don't think "settle" is the proper word, because even one or the other would have sufficed. They were large and bright and very inviting. We went to The Fabric Patch and Ginger's Quilt Shoppe. ooh, aah. A nice way to spend a Wednesday.

I had to take a picture of Ginger's because it was right next to a Brazilian Jiu Jitsu place. Two of my boys do jiu jitsu. Just think, if we lived down there, we could carpool. I could shop and they could do their wrassling thing, all at the same time...


Here's a picture of Sharon and me. This was taken at the end of our shopping trip. Do we look like happy folks or what? She has two quilts in Road. Since they were in the Miniature and Art Quilt categories, they were judged on Monday, before I got there. I have no idea how they did. But I've seen one in person, and seen a picture of the other, so I'm sure they are holding their own at the show. big smile.

**Congratulations to Sharon, for winning Honorable Mention for her miniature quilt!

It wouldn't have been shopping, it would have been browsing, if I didn't buy SOMETHING to bring home. Here's what I picked up from The Fabric Patch.


And finally, here we are leaving Ginger's. I am a bad influence. I bought at both places. Sharon exercised self-control at The Fabric Patch. I figured that since I wouldn't have the opportunity to shop at Road, I'd better take advantage of supporting the local shops while I could. (I wouldn't want them to go out of business too, now, would I?)

And so, I have added yet another stack of fabric to my ever-growing stash. One of these days I'm going to have to find/make time to actually do some sewing. January 1 was two weeks ago, and I believe that's the only day this month that found me behind the sewing machine. Where is this year going?!!! I've GOT to get on the ball!!!

No comments: