Friday, January 2, 2009

No telephone, etc.

Please bear with me. I'm going to begin by venting a bit.

Our phone had been silent for a few days, which I thought was quite a blessing. I've been inundated with end of the year phone calls, soliciting for this, that, and the other charity. I'm sick to death of them, it no longer matters how worthwhile their causes might be. If you call me at 9pm (when we go to bed at 8:30pm) or get me out of the ladies' room in a hurry, it had better be something important. It usually wasn't.

Yesterday, my cell phone rang. My sister was in a tizzy. She'd been calling our home phone non-stop for two days, and it just rang and rang on her end. We heard nothing. We'd been able to make outgoing calls, so I had no clue there was a problem.

I called ATT last night and got the ROYAL run-around, and an appointment scheduled for TUESDAY. Areyoukiddingme?!!! (Oh, and they said, "It looks like your calls are being forwarded to another number..." But they couldn't figure out what the forwarding number was and they couldn't undo it...)

Our phone rang twice last night, after 10pm. My husband grabbed the phone in his sleep, but when he answered, there was no one there. Today, we have no phone service at all. I spent over an hour on my cell phone, trying to jump through ATT's hoops to get some assistance. Am I frosted about this? You bet your sweet bippy I am!! The earliest they can get here is still Tuesday.

To top it off, Hubby's on call tonight, Saturday and Sunday. He's a dairy vet, it's January, and the calls are certain to come in. Good thing he has a cell phone, but he'd better make sure it is charged and next to the bed.

All I can say is, wow. I did not know that I was so dependent on my telephone line, but there you have it. No phone means no contact with the outside world, unless the person who needs me contacts me via email or cell phone. This is NOT a fun experiment, I do NOT recommend it.


Thanks for letting me get that off my chest!

So. How do I combat this intense irritation? By sewing, of course.

I was reading a couple of blogs yesterday, and I liked this one, which suggested starting a new project on New Year's Day. I didn't want to start a totally new project, but I couldn't see any harm in making progress on an ongoing one. So I sewed one of my precut baby quilts into 32 blocks. (The quilt takes 30 blocks.) See, I told you that a baby quilt would for sure get made this month. Do I know myself or what?!!

Later last night, we watched Ratatouille. I thought that familiarity with the TV show Hell's Kitchen made the movie particularly entertaining. Or maybe I'm just weird in that respect. ;) While watching the movie, I did some hand quilting. Wow. I can't remember the last time I worked on this quilt. Probably November? It felt good to make progress.

This morning I am feeling much more accepting towards my impossible phone situation, but I'm still not happy about it. I've decided that I need to be more like Edgar. Nothing seems to bother him. He's able to shrug off everything and just relax. Breathe in, breathe out, deep breaths. yeah, within minutes he was in napland. It is a gift. :)

Well, maybe I don't need to relax THAT much.

I was talking to a friend about the quilts at Houston. If you check this link, it will take you to the first of a few posts that share a number of quilts from the 2008 show. The same blog gave me this link, which gave me a huge laugh at the end of 2008. Son Adam (19) was also entertained, so I think it appeals to all ages. (Uncle Jay explains 2008 in under 4 minutes...)

And I guess that's it.

Thank you for humoring me and allowing me to vent about the phone. Once Adam leaves (which could be happening any time now), I will have no one to vent to. The house/nest will once again be empty and echoing...except for the purrs, howls and snores of my 4-footed friends.

May your phones continue to ring, and your friends continue to call!! (Now who ever would have thought that that might be a heartfelt blessing?!)

No comments: