Sunday, February 8, 2009

Congratulations, Fellow Steppers!

Well, the reports are in, at least I think I've heard them all. Five of you were bold enough to declare your goals in early January. Each of you has taken that first step. Brenda finished a baby quilt, Elaine finished piecing a top, Kay was able to sew the blocks that had graced her design wall for more than a year, Pat finished her paper-pieced sailboats, and Kristin finished off a number of steps. Hurrah for us!!

I'm certain that there are others of you out there, silently stepping along, but where's the fun in that? I know, I know, it's hard to pick a single step to focus on. There's so much to be done!

Personally, I find a project that I really MUST make progress on. I examine the list, and then identify: what is it, exactly, that is holding me back from working on this particular quilt? Last month, it was a design issue. I couldn't decide what belonged in the triangles. Once I gave myself a deadline, I discovered that feathers were just the thing. The silliest part of that is that I'd been considering feathers for almost a year! I'd just done nothing about it.

My February step is to draw a pattern. I've already had my practice - remember last year's Hoffman Challenge? This month's step will create something similar, only on a larger scale. It's just putting the pencil to paper that is holding me back. Surely it won't be that difficult, once I finally pull out the compass, pencil and paper!

In fact, the tables will be coming out this week, so I'm actually hoping to claim victory long before the end of the month.

And on that, I'd better get started. No time like the present!

No comments: