Wednesday, November 4, 2009

This n That

Well that just looks strange. Blogger feels flip again today. sigh.

Did I tell you about the sticks at Hartland?

I took a nature walk on Sunday, looking for a stick for a particular idea. As I walked, I picked up sticks. Each time I picked one up, I felt guilty. For those of you not from CA, it is illegal to pick up anything in a forest, whether it be stick, stone, pine cone, whatever. You MUST leave everything as you found it - you wouldn't want to desecrate our pristine surroundings. (That attitude has led to horrendous forest fires, but that's a story for someone else's blog.)

So I picked up sticks, and as I returned to the retreat area, I saw a number of men who either are or have been intimately involved in the running of Hartland. I asked if it was alright for me to take some sticks, and showed them what I'd gathered.

I gave them all a good belly laugh. :) They invited me to pick up all the sticks I wanted. "Bring your friends! Bring a truck! We'll get you a rake!" I guess every spring they have a big clean-up where all the sticks are brought together and - shudder! - burned! ;)

Needless to say, I brought home some sticks.

Malcolm thinks they are for him. He loves the way they smell. I actually gave him one of the bigger sticks, that still has some bark and moss on it. He rubs his head on it and chews it. He is a very strange cat. :)

Here are two little items that I put together at Retreat. The bottom one may measure 9" square. I have plans to do some thread painting and beading on both, so you'll probably see them again in a few days.

Other than that? My real job of "housewife" is interfering with creativity. Then again, as I've discovered, messes severely interfere with creativity, so I really need to get this place in order. Or something like order. Or better than it is now.

Goals are good!

2 comments:

Quiltedtime said...

I LOVE the green batik with the critters on it. Perfect!

And in regards to Malcolm and his affinity for sticks, be happy. My cats love to roll on my clothes that I wear when I groom my horse. I don't know what the draw is, but they think the smell is delightful!

Best,

Kay

Deborah said...

I like to collect sticks, also, and fortunately it isn't illegal here (at least that I am aware of). I have a large curvy one in my studio that my husband views as potential kindling but so far I have resisted giving it to him, although last year I came close. Thanks for your nice comments on my blog.