Friday, September 25, 2009

Cleaning Up

Daniel and I had some running around to do this morning, and by the time we got home, I didn't feel like quilting.

It was still cool, and going into the attic storage/crawl space was still a viable option. We went up, to see what we were storing. I knew there were things that could be tossed, and I wasn't disappointed. Here are some of the things that we're going to get rid of - notice all of the cardboard and styrofoam? We have packing materials for computers bought in 2002 and sewing machines bought before that! I DON'T think we'll be needing the boxes for shipping, do you?

The crewel embroidery in the foreground was started by my mom and finished by me before I was in high school. I'd forgotten about it. The moths found it, but parts are salvageable. I should see if I can think of something to do with it.

Here's a second view. The bed was so brittle, it shattered. Same with the chair in the foreground. The foosball game will go to Rescued Treasures, unless someone wants to rescue it before I take it there.

After lunch, it began heating up. If I'm going to get any quilts washed, now is the time to do it. I washed one.

This quilt was finished in 2003, for Andrew's 2002 high school graduation. My intent was to make a quilt with racing stripes, and I put numerous fabrics under black light to find those that glowed the best. (He liked his black light while in high school.) I was really taken aback when I finished the quilt and was informed that it was a rainbow. It never occurred to me. I thought they were racing stripes. :(

He was a good sport, and designed the quilting pattern for the background. "Mom? Can you do spheres in a grid?" He drew a rough sketch, and I followed through. The grid is quilted in black, the spheres were done in blue and green.

Finally, I asked if he wanted it hand or machine quilted. "Which is more work?" "Hand." "Well then hand, of course!" And there you go. It's holding up very well, and will hopefully dry this afternoon. We'll see.

And now? I should probably think about doing some quilting.

No comments: