Friday, August 23, 2019

Making Art

After the week in Laguna Beach, my creative juices were overflowing.  But when I got back over the mountain?  It was 107.  Not a lot of incentive there to get excited about anything.  I plowed through the things that had been set aside for a week, and by Tuesday, I was ready to finish quilting my quilt.  Here it is, finished and faced.  It still needs a label and a sleeve:
 "Shalom," by Suzanne Kistler  August 2019

Here is a close-up, where you can see the hand quilting.  It is also hand appliqued.  I'm very happy with the results, and plan to enter it in PIQF.  It remains to be seen whether or not it will be accepted.
 One of the things that I was really drawn to in Laguna Beach was the collage art.  I came home and bought 2 small stretched canvases and acrylic medium.  I prepped the canvas, and set them aside.  A few days later, inspiration struck.  I had planned to use paper, but I have all of these fabric shred scraps.  I wonder if...?
 Well, look at that!  They do work well.  This was after two layers.  Today, I added a third.  I don't think it needs much more than that.  I just need to decide what to add to the foreground.  I imagine a starfish draped over the edge.  If nothing else, it is different from the sailboat that I'm sure everyone expects me to add.  :)
Several states away, my son and daughter-in-law gave birth to our 3rd granddaughter/4th grandchild on Monday, August 19.  Here she is, quite a beautiful little thing.  She weighed in at 6lb 6oz.  Tiny compared to my kids, but right on target for the grands.
I believe she is less than 24 hours old in this picture.  Such a beauty!!

And that's all I've got for you today.  I'm thinking of jumping into a MAJOR hand quilting project, so I doubt I'll have many more finishes before the end of the year.  Then again, you never know when I'll feel the need to make another baby quilt.  We have another grandchild due in November.  Stay tuned for that.  :)

Happy, happy, joy, joy!!

2 comments:

Barbara Sindlinger said...

Congratulations on the new addition to your family. And I love your quilt and I hope it gets accepted into PIQF.

Suzanne Kistler said...

Thank you!!