Friday, January 1, 2021

Happy New Year!!

 wow.  2020 is in the can.  It is certainly a year that got away from me!  I don't quite know what happened to the last few months, except that we continue to be blessed with good health and family nearby.  The days were filled with a LOT of babysitting, with grandchildren coming and going and lots of hugs shared each day.

Quilting?  Definitely ended up in the backseat of 2020, which is quite a surprise for me.  I took stock of my UFO list.  Here is what I completed in 2020:

6 quilts, 5 valentine toys (stuffed hearts), 10 potholders, 23 fabric postcards, 24 quilted cards

Apparently my priority was not finishing quilts, but finishing quilted projects.  My 2020 UFO List began with 40 quilts, and ended with 36.  My 2021 UFO List has 39 items on it so far.  I am looking through my piles of projects, so see if there are any others begun and then set aside during the year.  Not TOO many, so that's good.  I don't know that I've ever begun a year with fewer than 40 UFO's.

2020 was less about my UFO list and more about prioritizing the things that are most important.  I spent a LOT of time with our sons and their families.  I spent a LOT of time with the grandchildren.  I spent more time with my husband, and less time bemoaning the hours he spends working.  Instead, I've chosen to be grateful for all that we have been blessed with, rather than bemoaning desires unfulfilled.

The result has been more than I ever would have imagined for 2020. No more unrestricted travel, no more luxury dining, no more this, no more that, no more the other thing.  Turns out, the time was right for us to invest in a second home, something we've talked of for over a decade.  

The new home needs a lot of TLC, which has already begun.  The roofer has sealed the leaks, and I meet with the plumber, and, hopefully electrician this week.  The termite man is on call, as is The Mold Doctor.  As I said, lots of TLC.  But with the state of things in the State of California?  It's not like we have anything else with which to fill our days.  This new Project is just perfect!  And when the work is done?  We'll have a delightful getaway for our family and friends, for years to come.  

As to resolutions?  I resolve to post more frequently.  I resolve to sew more, to take more pictures, and to share them with you.  Here are some Christmas presents that can be shown, now that they have been gifted:

There was a 4th set of potholders.  Somehow I lost a set, plus a potholder.  If I ever get the Studio under control, I hope to find the missing items.  One thing I did find was the panels to make these books.  I bought them at PIQF 2019, then promptly forgot about them.  I daydreamed about in person quilt shows while I stitched these darling books.
But what I've been daydreaming about the most, is the coast.
Expect to see more pictures like this in the coming year.  I plan to spend more time renewing my relationship with the Pacific Ocean.  And there you are:  Goals are good!

This sign was given to me by my daughter-in-law.  I am hopeful that there will be a lot more sewing taking place this year, in my little kingdom.  Again, goals are good!  In looking at this picture, Clean the Studio should be high priority!

Happy New Year!!



2 comments:

Barbara Sindlinger said...

Glad to hear the work has already started at the beach house. I look forward to hearing the updates. I know it needed a lot of work, but it is a very charming place and I know you and your family will have a lot of great memories. As far as quilting, once the work it done, it's great place for a few friends to gather to quilt. You can get a lot done without cell or internet service.

Loralie said...

So glad to see your post. I enjoy reading your blog and seeing your projects.