Wednesday, September 17, 2008

World Alzheimer's Day - Sept 21

I've tried more than once to create picture links to other websites, but haven't had much luck. I suspect the same will happen today, so I've done the hot link in words.

Ami Simms, the mastermind behind the Alzheimer's Art Quilt Initiative, has begun a new Purple Patch Project. "World Alzheimer's Day" is Sept 21. Ami's goal is to get bloggers and web-hosts around the world to create patches in honor of those we know who have suffered or are suffering the ravages of Alzheimer's. As she says, we all know someone who has been affected. Often that person is a family member.

This particular patch is in memory of my Uncle Warner. He suffered from a particularly fast-moving and devastating version of the disease. He succumbed to it very quickly, compared to most stories I've heard.


This post would be incomplete, were I not to include a patch for Pete's grandmother. She's been ravaged by this disease for a number of years now. I can't even begin to imagine.


I guess that's about all I have to say at the moment. If you have time, please click on the Alzheimer's Art Quilt Initiative link. Each month small quilts are offered for sale through silent auction, to raise funds to combat this disease and perhaps find a cure. But until that happens? We have to do whatever we can to help, even if it's just adding virtual awareness...

No comments: