Sunday, April 5, 2020

One Day at a Time

And so it goes.  Home alone, for the most part, just me, my sewing machine, and my stash.  We are keeping each other quite entertained, so no worries on that part.  I'm continuing the hand quilting on the queen-sized quilt that I showed in the last post.  I am more than halfway through with the quilting, which feels like a milestone.  Indeed it is a milestone, seeing as it took me from May 2000-April 2020 to get this far!  I'm not sure if that is more horrifying or embarrassing.  I've been told that other quilters would have trashed the project long ago, rather than allowing it to linger in the back of the closet.  Different strokes.

I've been making quilted cards, and mailing them out.  It's a single stamp if they are less than 1/4" thick, but almost $4 if I add buttons and the like.  Here are my most recent quiltlet finishes:
 The first was for a friend who is recovering from knee replacement surgery.  I finally had time to make her card and mail it.   The second is for a friend who has been housebound since the pandemic began.  Her birthday is in a few weeks, but I couldn't wait that long.
 The next is for another housebound friend.  I hear that she is recovering from an illness, so I was glad that God set up the timing for delivery of this card.  It arrived the day she returned home from the hospital.
 And this one?  For yet another housebound friend, who is recovering from pneumonia.
So many people are stuck at home these days.  I find it fascinating how many people, who might otherwise be tempted to ignore the warnings and run out and about, have been forced to stay home.  Me?  Were I not under prohibition to lift anything over 10 lbs, I suspect I might be sneaking out to see the grandchildren.

Our local quilt shop, Calico Mermaid, has been sharing clues for a Mystery quilt.  I've been keeping up so far, having finished the first 3 clues.  Clue #4 arrived today.  I'm not quite sure whether I want to sew the blocks together now, or wait until the last clue arrives.  It might affect my choices for color placement.  or not.  I have no idea.  I guess that's why it's called a mystery, right?

Here's what I've been working with:
 The pale turquoise looks washed out in the pictures.  All of the colors look a bit washed out.  They are actually quite vibrant.  I suppose I will look at them for another day, to see if I want to sew the blocks together, or wait until the final reveal on Tuesday.  Patience has not been my strong suit.  Then again, procrastination has been.  Funny combo, right?
And I guess that will do it for now.  I hope that you are staying home and staying safe and healthy.  This too shall pass.  I'm looking forward to having a lot of show and tell when it comes to an end.  How about you?

P.S.  Our Thursday group, the Itty Bitties, has been unable to congregate.  However, on Thursday, we held our first Zoom meeting.  It was great fun, especially since we were able to include our friend who moved to Ohio.  It's been a long time since we've all been able to visit together.  I highly recommend it!!

1 comment:

Vivian said...

Hi, I am downsizing slowly and had a lot of the postcards we exchanged. I gave many to guild members and some went to a teacher for her class. That was so much fun trading. Your cards are lovely and make a great gift. Mailing prices for them are a bit crazy.
I did not sign up for the quilt show this year but some friends did. What is the guild going to do.
There are so many projects to join on line, but slowly reorganizing the studio. Had a heart attack last year so that slowed me down a. It but now a Pacemaker and doing fine.
Quilters can never get bored so much to do. I said that to a friend of mine who does not have a hobby, she is about to climb a wall. My days rush by to much to get done,but sometimes just not I. The mood. Look forward to seeing your mystery.

Hugs. Vivian