Sunday, December 7, 2008

Box of Possibilities

I've got company coming in 3 hours, I have to make dinner for 12-15, and I'm running out of steam. Time to take a break, and what better thing to do with my time than blog, right? right. I should be cleaning the bathrooms.

Anyway, the other day I mentioned my Box of Possibilities. It is a marvelous bottomless cavern, picture Mary Poppins' carpet bag. It looks like this, and you might think that it is an ordinary box, nothing special about it.

Au contraire my dear friend, it is not at all your run-of-the-mill Rubbermaid box. Lift the lid and you will behold wonderful treasures...

Okay, so it might not look like much, but just wait until you start pulling out the goodies. It's better than Nana's button box...


I see flowers all ready to be appliqued onto the perfect top. They were intended to spruce up "Paintbox," but all they did was make it look messy. So here they wait, oh, so patiently...


Here are some leftover blocks pieced from soccer quilts. And I spy airplanes, made when my husband's cousin had her first baby in the early 90's...


Here are some leftover Double 4-patch blocks, as well as 9 patches and stars made from leftovers from a myriad of other projects.


And what have we here? Why it's leftover strips from "The Color Runs Through It." Or maybe they're left from "The Color Went to Tahiti." It's tough to know for certain.


What can be done with these strips? Why, make blocks, of course!

Oh, and isn't this nice? I made this gorgeous pepper in a class taught by Ruth McDowell back around 2002. I should probably do more with it than leave it in the box...Then again, it might be just right for something sometime in the future, so back it goes.


And did you notice the messed up Log Cabin? That was removed from its official project box and sent to the Island of Misfit Blocks...I mean the Box of Possibilities.

I have a dozen more pictures, but that's enough for today. The house isn't cleaning itself and dinner isn't cooking either. But thanks for the chance to just sit down and dream for a few...

1 comment:

Lady Beekeeper said...

I thoroughly enjoyed this post. What a great topic! Well done - and go get those bathrooms.