Tuesday, October 13, 2009

I Win! (on eBay)

On Saturday, I was surfing the web. One thing led to another, and before I knew it, I was on eBay, bidding on a quilt. This is not just any quilt, it is one made by Kathy Sandbach. It was published on page 41 of her book "Show Me How to Plan My Quilting."

At least that's what the description said, and since it was written by her daughter, I have no reason to disbelieve her.

The quilt arrived today, and this is what it looks like:


Here is a close-up of the interior feather quilting. I like the leaves that knock down the background, giving the feathers a bit more loft.

The sad thing about this quilt is that, although it was accompanied by a letter from Kathy's daughter, the quilt itself has no label. Where were the quilt police when she finished her quilt?!! I know she was a voluminous quilter, but that's no excuse. It's been pounded into my head that when you finish a quilt, you HAVE to label it. How will future generations be able to identify your work? Aren't you proud of it? Don't you want people to know you made it?

And here I've got a quilt, made by a nationally (if not world) known teacher/author. There is nothing on the quilt itself to identify the maker. I've got a letter, and I could buy the book, but do those prove provenance or whatever it's called? I don't think so.

Moral of the story? Label your quilts, quilters! Or sign them! Or something! When they pass from the hands of your family (and there's no insuring that won't happen), the recipient might really truly care who made them.

Okay. I'm sure you've got the message. Now I'm going back to work. :)

No comments: